For the next 30 days, we’re providing free access to non-subscribers so you can see what we have to offer. And if you subscribe by June 1, you’ll get a 25% discount on your subscription!
We hope you’ll like what you see and want to support local media.
Click here to start a new subscription
The first community service project of the Ranchland Republican Women — a canned soup drive for National Soup Month — was a success, with 1,000 items gathered for area food banks.
The month-long drive collected mostly canned soup, but also brought in other canned food, boxed and dry food goods and some household items. All items have been delivered or are on their way to area food banks.
Through the process, the Ranchland Republican Women learned that the food banks in Elbert and Simla have closed. However, a new food bank has now opened in Simla. Two well-established food banks operate in Elizabeth, along with one in Kiowa and one in Parker.
“The project was a wonderful reminder of how, with just a little planning and a little effort, a community can be inspired to rally together with a positive spirit and do something good to help others,” said Marlene Groves, president of Ranchland Republican Women, in a news release.
For information on the Republican women's group, go to www.RanchlandRepublicanWomen.org.
For anyone willing to make periodic or regular donations, or for those who might need a little help, below are the Elbert County food banks that received food items:
• ELIZABETH FOOD BANK, 381 S. Banner St., Elizabeth (affiliated with the Elizabeth Presbyterian Church). Call 303-646-4825.
• HELPING HANDS OF HARVEST, 826 S. Elbert St., Elizabeth (affiliated with Harvest Bible Church. Call 303-646-3699.
• KIOWA CREEK COMMUNITY CHURCH, 231 Cheyenne St., Kiowa. Call 303-621-2376.
• PINECREST COMMUNITY CHURCH, 7165 N. Delbert Road, Parker. Call 720-851-2300.
• SIMLA SHARES, 513 Caribou St., Simla. Call 719-340-0630.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.